Friday, January 3, 2014

Rewriting: Have a Little Faith

On our first date my boyfriend [you] told me that he [you] thought Woody Allen was a truly great actor because he ended Manhattan  not with a great last line, but with a great smile.  In the final scene of the movie Woody Allen’s character learns that the woman he loves is leaving to spend six months in London.  He tells her that doesn’t want her to go because he is worried that she might lose “that little thing” that he loves about her.  She tells him that he has to learn to have a little faith in people.  His response to this statement is a slow, sweet smile.  I always thought that was his character’s way of agreeing to have a little faith.
The day after we saw Manhattan in Brooklyn [A month later] my boyfriend [you] suggested that we write each other stories, so we agreed to each write our own version of that date.  Ever the dedicated writer, I finished my story within the week.  He [You] still hasn’t written his  [never wrote yours], so he hasn’t read mine but the point of the [every] story that I wrote for him [you] was that, when I smile at him [you], I am agreeing to have a little faith.  And I think that is a really nice story. 

[I need you to make me smile again.]


No comments:

Post a Comment