Friday, January 3, 2014

A Solitary Activity


I haven’t fallen asleep before 4a.m. in almost a month.  I sit awake all night long, in bed. A box of Christmas cards that I never mailed sits beside me on the floor.
I suppose I can understand why friends and loved ones treat a person like the bad thing that happened to them stopped happening the moment the doctor tells them they’re free to go.  I like to think the same thing, most days.  But it’s not how it works.  The bad things that happen are at their worst after everyone leaves, when I have to sit alone with my own thoughts and – worse – inside my own body.  Everyday when I take a shower or put on my socks or change into my gym shoes I see the bright red scrape on my ankle that just won’t heal. I can still align my fingers with the green and purple prints on my hips.  I can push my fingertips hard against the bruises, but it doesn’t hurt.  I think it would be better if it hurt.  If it hurt maybe I would be something other than just quiet.  Lately, I find the hardest thing to be talking to other people.  Even well meaning people who text things like, “How are you?”  And I have to say “I’m fine” or “I’m good” or “I’m ok” because it’s not like I’m crying. You have to tell people you’re fine in times like this because what else can you say?  I changed and the world didn’t? Besides, people are uncomfortable with truth.  They don’t like to be reminded that their perception of how the world works, of right and wrong, of safe and dangerous is just that: a perception.
Someone told me after it happened that I shouldn’t be writing about it; I should be doing something about it.  But this is what I do.  I remember, I first wanted to be a writer because it was something to do; it was the only thing to do about most of what happened to me.  I never trusted other people’s justice, but I trusted the way the words moved.  Writing is a solitary activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment