Saturday, April 26, 2014

Timely Matters

When I was eleven years old I became conscious of time.  I had always been the kind of child to count hours and watch minutes move on a clock, but suddenly time was bigger than clocks or even calendars.  Time was change.  Time was loss. Time was newness.  And then more change.  And more loss.


In relationships, I find I have trouble being faithful to the moment.  I always have a secret affair with time.  If things are going well, I jump the calendar and imagine a beautiful happiness that stretches on and on forever.  And then when I notice that I’m doing this, I realize that I’m actually happy in the present and that terrifies me, so I start to imagine how things might not go well later.  I become plagued with thoughts of time, change, loss and newness.  I tell myself that even if I’m happy in the moment, things will inevitably change and I will lose the person I have grown to care about and then, just when it seems that hope was lost too, I will meet someone new who will replace the person that I once day dreamed forever with.  My affair with time has ruined many of my relationships, sometimes by causing me to hold on too tightly out of fear of what I perceive to be inevitable change and loss, sometimes by causing me to push away preemptively out of the same fear of change and loss.  Most often I have ruined my relationships with a combination of pushing away and holding on too tightly – the latter makes the act of pushing away quite uncomfortable for both parties. 


Last week I sat in a bar with an old friend who was visiting from out of town and I became overwhelmingly conscious of time. Because we see each other infrequently, yet predictably, and because of the deep nature of our friendship, he always brings me back to myself.  And what I mean is that he brings back his memory of the person I was when he last saw me, what I was thinking then, what I was afraid of and what I cared about.  In this way I get an uncanny reminder of who I’ve been and how I’ve changed – and how I haven’t.  He said he remembers when I used to wear a loose purple dress over jeans with moccasin boots and a wooden peace sign necklace.  I remember that girl too.  I was a freshman in college in Chicago, dating my first real boyfriend and utterly convinced that love is something you have to fight for – that its proof is in the hard work, tears, and sheer begging you have to go through to convince the other person that they love you back.  I also remember how much that girl wanted to be a writer in New York City.  Talking to my friend, I felt the presence of the six years that have since elapsed since I was that girl wearing a purple dress and a peace sign necklace.  It took all six of those years for me to start to believe that love shouldn’t be a fight.  But it only took four of them for me to move to New York.


Although I am ever-conscious of time, it still managed to sneak up on me recently.  I submit my thesis in one week and graduate with my MFA in four weeks.  And then what?  The rest of my life?  And what is life but a series of failed relationships and a couple good friends who see you through?  Even though I’ve changed and succeeded in accomplishing what I now realized were short-term goals that I set for myself years earlier, I still don’t feel like I have anything substantial.  Where does one get something substantial?  And what is something substantial, exactly?  It’s not a degree --that much I’m sure of.  Is it a job?  A career?  (Is sitting in my bed writing about myself a career?)  Is it a relationship?  Jesus Christ, how is it that I can commit to writing a one hundred and fifty page thesis and be excited to write another hundred pages so I can turn it into a real book, but I can’t succeed in having a long-term relationship? Is it because I’m so self-involved that I enjoy spending one hundred and fifty pages talking about myself?  Is it because I don’t even consider not making bad decisions since I know they will be fun to write about later?  Is it because I have a habit of drinking to excess because I’m self-involved and know it will be something to write about later and it doesn’t matter if I make people hate me because they’re not welcome to sit in my bed with me while I write about myself anyways?  And what if I don’t want to grow up?  God, what am I going to do after I graduate?  Am I just going to go to work, date men, get my heart broken, drink excessively, and write about it until I die?


Writing my thesis about my family and their relationships – and mine -- has made me conscious of time in another way.  In the beginning, I am little girl asking my mother, “Why do people get married?” To which she responded, “People get married so they can live together forever.” Later, on one page I tell the story of my first four relationships.  Then on twenty-five pages I tell the story of another relationship.  It’s one hundred and fifty pages of time, change, loss, and newness.  And it ends with me being alone but because I believe in the inevitable newness that follows all loss, I don’t think it’s that sad of an ending. And there is something else on those pages.  There is my mother, my grandmother, my brothers, and someone that I cared so much about that they took up twenty-five pages.  There’s my brother’s hand pressed against the window of the car as he and my mother drive away, leaving me to fly off to my new life in New York.  And there’s a man I loved, under streetlights and stars, saying, “Here’s how it really goes.”  And there’s another man sitting beside me at an Upper East Side piano bar while I clasp my hands to my heart because the piano player is performing a song my grandmother used to sing and suddenly I wonder if this new man could grow to love me for the way I love.  There is all the things that I didn’t really lose after all because I can still put them right back on the page, still tell the story of how it was and how it meant something.  Goddamn, it meant something.  And that’s when I realized that time is LOVE.  People change, relationships fall apart, and it hurts.  It really really hurts.  But there will always be Love.  On and on forever.  You can count on it.  And I will write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment