Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Clear thinking about mixed feelings


I don’t know if I believe in romantic love, but I do believe in gin and whiskey and wine and good conversation.  And sometimes I believe in cigarettes and beer.  And, sure, I believe in love – that’s how I mark my maturity, by who I say, “I love you” to.  Recently I went back to Chicago just to tell my friends I loved them.  These days I say love easily to friends old friends and new friends alike almost instantly because I like to think that I appreciate the indelible fickleness of time.

These days, when I say, “I love you,” I am saying, “I think I might share the idea you have of yourself and if you want to drink to forget it, I will drink with you, and if you want to cry about it, I will drink with you, and if I want to cry about it, I hope you will  drink with me.”

And, of course, I believe in romance.  I believe in midnight bottles of wine and 4 a.m. walks and the way it feels to hold hands in a crowded room for the first time.  

But when it comes to romantic love, call me a hopeful atheist.  I think it’s all a bunch of evangelism.  It’s not out there – but I hope I can be proven wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment